About the Movember Foundation

Where the money goes

2013 FINANCIAL SUMMARY
The Movember Foundation continues to receive donations for several months following the campaign end. To date, $133.0 million has been raised globally as a result of the Movember 2013 campaign. The funds were raised by 969,176 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas in over 21 countries around the world.
 
At the end of Movember Foundation’s financial year (April 30), our financials are independently audited. This takes a couple of months and so by August of this year, we'll be in a position to update the below information with the 2013 figures.  In the meantime, if you'd like further information how past funds are being spent, please take a look at our program Report Cards, which provide a clear overview of the 770 programs being funded by the Foundation itself and our men's health partners.


2012 FINANCIAL SUMMARY AUSTRALIA
The Australian Movember campaign raised $29.1 million in 2012. The Movember Australia financials are audited each year by PricewaterhouseCoopers. The chart below shows how these funds are applied:



93.5% Allocated to Men's Health Programs
Of the funds raised in Australia in 2012, 93.5% has been committed to programs supporting prostate cancer and male mental health initiatives.
The Movember team is proud of the high percentage of funds committed to programs which is well above international best practice of 80% of funds raised invested in programs.

5.4% Fundraising Costs and 1.1% Administration Costs totaling 6.5%

A number of fundraising and administrative tasks are necessary to run an organisation and campaign the size of Movember.
The Movember team is proud of its low fundraising and administration costs, which in Australia was 6.5% of the funds raised.  This is well below international best practice which is in the range of 15% - 20%.

Costs that are grouped under fundraising and administration include:
  • Salaries for staff involved in management, technology, fundraising and administrative tasks
  • Credit card processing fees
  • Systems development and technology to run Movember.com, the mobile applications and to process registrations and donations securely
  • Telecommunications and computer equipment
  • Office rent and general office maintenance costs
  • Legal costs
  • Insurance
  • Bank fees



PROGRAM INVESTMENT
The chart below shows how the 93.5% of funds allocated to programs are applied:



The funds allocated to programs are run directly by the Movember Foundation, the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and beyondblue. Together, these channels work to ensure that Movember funds are supporting a broad range of innovative, world-class programs in line with our strategic goals.  These programs are focused on:

  • awareness and education
  • staying mentally healthy
  • living with and beyond cancer
  • living with and beyond mental illness
  • research
For a complete report on every project we have funded and the impact Movember is having please visit the Funded Programs section.

NOTE: All funds donated to our men's health partners are restricted and are only used for Movember approved programs.  This means that no Movember funds are  used to cover any part of our partners fundraising and promotional costs with 100% of the funds go to program delivery.